Scuba Diving – Am I Covered by my Travel Insurance?

24 August 2016

Scuba diving is a time to live out those Little Mermaid fantasies. But what happens when things turn south and your fantasy becomes a nightmare? Think your travel insurance is going to kick in to sort you out?

Whether you’re a pro diver or a first timer, there’s nothing quite like strapping on a tank and sinking into the deep blue. Be it a cruisy coral reef crawl, or an open water escapade, Australian’s love to scuba dive the world with more of us getting into the sport each year.

But what if a once-in-a-lifetime dive sets your heart racing for all the wrong reasons? Or your strike it unlucky and become ill or injured while diving and need emergency medical treatment? Like with anything holiday-related, you’d hope your travel insurance will come to your rescue. But will it?

Travel Insurance cover is all about risk. We think about how risky an activity is, how likely someone is to run into trouble doing said activity, and what the likely costs would be if things went awry. Fortunately, when we look at scuba diving, the risks are pretty serious, but unlikely when you know what you’re doing, or being looked after by someone else who does. So the short answer is YES, dive to your heart’s content, just as long as you follow a few key rules:


For travel insurers, it really is about safety. So, to be able to offer you cover, it all comes down to whether you hold a valid open water diving licence issued in Australia, and if not, whether you’re under the watchful eye of a licensed dive operator. ‘Licensed’ means any industry accreditation like Padi, Dan or equivalent, by the way.
If these condition are met, and you’re not engaging in illegal or dangerous  activities like diving under the influence, then you’re pretty much a-ok should you run into bad luck underwater and need hospitalisation, or even medivac.

The trouble with most travel insurance claim comes in when you’re taking a risk by diving untrained, or unsupervised. To be fair, it’s not like travel insurers are looking for loopholes here. Once again it’s about minimising risk by doing things safely. As if mum were watching.


Most insurers place a cap on the depth you can scuba dive to, like say 10 meters, Travel with Jane however covers licenced divers to a depth of 30 meters. Ditto if you’re unlicensed but diving under licensed instruction. Licensed divers are also cool to dive solo, under our cover.


Travel insurers vary in how they cover scuba diving, but Travel with Jane will gladly cover overseas medical expenses for sudden illness or serious injury while scuba diving, medical evacuation to the nearest hospital or medical facility for treatment, and treatment in a decompression chamber if needed. We will need to rule out pre-existing medical conditions though, so just check that before you strap your flippers on.


You hold a valid open water diving licence issued in Australia.

If you don’t hold a license, you must be diving under licensed instruction.


Scuba diving without a valid, Australian issued open water diving license, and without licensed instruction. Competing or taking part in a professional diving contest or activity that includes scuba diving. Intentionally exposing yourself to a needless risk or not taking reasonable care except in an attempt to save a human life. Search and rescue costs are not covered. Drinking alcohol before a dive can lead to dehydration, impaired decision making and a host of other risks. Travel insurance will also not cover any claims related to alcohol consumption, both in and out of the water.


As long as your diving gear, like fins and snorkels, was lost or stolen while not in use, as in, not while you were scuba diving, then your gear is covered under any Travel with Jane travel insurance policy up to $750.00.

Most travel insurers don’t provide cover for any hired equipment, so if you’re hiring gear ask about taking out insurance from the scuba diving operator or rental company.
We don’t cover lost or stolen gear if it was left unsupervised or in a place that was unsecured – like an unlocked locker, for example.

Like most insurers, we can’t offer you full cover for stuff nicked out of a car or boot during daylight hours. However, Travel with Jane will pay up to $200 for each stolen item, and $2,000 in total for all stolen items, provided there are signs of forced entry, confirmed by a police report.

The devil is in the detail, so if you’re getting set to scuba dive on holiday take note of some important rules and exceptions by having a read of your policy PDS. Happy travels!

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.” – Mark Twain

Women Pay 14.1% Less. Get a Quote

Understand your cover

Conditions and exclusions apply to every cover level and optional pack. View our Combined Product Disclosure Statement and Financial Services Guide for full details. Sub-limits apply. Not sure? Our friendly team are here to help. Get in touch


We support women who challenge the gender pay gap

Since Day 1 Travel with Jane has been about levelling the playing field for women in Australia. In 2020, we’re taking the fight global. Stay tuned to learn how you can support the women who tackle the gender divide here and abroad.


Love cool stuff? Subscribe to our newsletter

Join our mailing list for exclusive invites to travel insurance sales, competitions and giveaways. Plus travel inspiration and tips for women who love to travel & make the world a more equal place.